Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Getting into a routine



I want to add to what I said yesterday about the cost of things here. When I wrote about prices not being so bad I was thinking of groceries. There are many things that are more expensive and a few things less expensive. I was going down a toy aisle in the grocery store yesterday and there were very cheap looking toys(like you'd find at a dollar store in the states) and they were between $6-$8. I believe toys, clothes and goods are generally more expensive here. We haven't shopped much yet so we'll be able to compare more as the days go on.
It's becoming more and more comfortable to visit with the kids and finding ways to relate. We got to see Zhenya's (pronounced kind of like "Jenya" j sound as in treasure) room today. I will try and put up pics of where she sleeps, schools etc..tomorrow.
I'm enjoying a chicken sandwhich as I write you this evening. Most of the food we've eaten has been very American like and good. We do want to try horse one day. It is a traditional Kazakh dish. Well, Dave wants to try it....yeah I know the picky one...I'll have to be feeling strong that day. We've eaten a lot of bread this week. In Kachiri, the small village where the orphanage is there is a small store we stop in to get this hot fresh bread...it's only 50 tenge(less than 50 cents) for a large loaf.
This is usually our lunch with cheese and some fruit. LOVE YOU ALL and please write and tell us what you've been up to!

No comments: